5.11.2010

What summer feels like

About a month ago, I wrote a wonderfully hopeful short piece about what summer looks like.

Today I am writing about what summer feels like.

Day 13 of being sick with allergies and believe me day 13 is no better than day 1. I never was sick with allergies until I moved to the south. It seems that my corner of the sandbox is a perfect breeding ground for ALL the various things I can be allergic to!

At day 7 I decided it was enough and pulled myself up by the bootstraps and made the seemingly routine visit to doctor. While there, the kind doctors, weoponized with needles, decided the best thing for me that day was two shots of steroids and $100 dollars of allergy medicne. You know how many things I can buy for $100?

I'm not a man who needs much, but a few things I do require in order to live more fully is beer and cigars and scotch and books. How many of those things can you buy with $100? More than I have right now!

The two shots of roids were the first two of my life, I must admit there has always been a secret desire to take roids in the depths of my heart, weather it was my competitive spirit playing college sports or me buying into the idea 'that one cycle never hurt anyone'! Roids seemed to be one of those experiments I would like to have tried for physical reasons rather than being sick for 13 days with allergies.

So I sit, kleenex in hand, $100 medicine beside me and a deep longing to be someplace where allergies don't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment